The Ward Cottage was originally a hunting cabin that predated the 1870's and was located on South Lake Street in Port Sanilac-barely two blocks from the museum.
When Sarah Ward decided to build a bigger home on her property, she and her mother, Grace Frassrand, offered the building to the historic village. As it looks today, the Ward Cottage is typical of the little Lake Huron shore cottages that one would have found in the 1940's. These were originally uninsulated structures without inside plumbing, many without kitchens or porches. These structural changes were often made later. Each cottage had its own outhouse and well pump. Folks cooked outside, took their soap and towels, and bathed in Lake Huron.