Sanilac County Historic Village and Museum

museum logo228 S. Ridge Street
Port Sanilac, Michigan 48469
810-622-9946

 

Wed-Sun 11-5
Early June thru End of August
Off season hours by appointment 

Hearse Shed

  • img51.jpg
  • img52.JPG
  • img53_banner.JPG

This shed is the original building that housed Gus Schlicting's hearse. It was originally located just west of the intersection of Ridge St. and Main St. in Port Sanilac. The building was used from about 1890 until 1900. The shed was built with doors at both ends, which allowed the driver to pull in one end, unhitch the horses, leave the hearse inside, and walk the horses out the opposite end. The black wooden hearse seen here is the original one used by Mr. Schlichting.

 

 

.